Monday, June 19, 2006

Target steps: 7700 Achieved: 8434
It's been really dark and gloomy most of the day, so I'm pleased that I was motivated enough to get out at lunchtime. The other day I called in at the local Tourist Information office to ask about places to walk in my lunch hour. The woman looked at me as if I was mad and offered me a bus tour of the county. I persevered and got some leaflets about parks and the canal/river towpath, and today I set out to explore.
To my surprise, Castle Gardens was only 10 minutes walk away from work. I took a sandwich and a bottle of water and sat on a bench overlooking the River Soar to eat. It was a bit chilly but much better than sitting in the tearoom at work. The park is close to the university and there were quite a few young people around, including two who appeared to be having it off on the grass on top of the Motte - or perhaps they were just trying to keep warm.
There's a statue in the park of Richard III - apparently his remains were chucked into the river just about there. You wouldn't get away with that today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home