Monday, July 10, 2006

The Bourne Adventure
Sunday was dull but warm so I set out on an 8-mile walk starting and ending at Bourne Woods. Although it's only a few miles away, I've never been before. The walk is No.29 from Walk East Midlands from the Ramblers Association. And whoever said that Lincolnshire is flat? This walk had quite a few hilly bits!
The car park at the woods is free and there's a catering van there at the weekends, although I didn't try it. I set off in a westerly direction and walked to Scottlethorpe, a really tiny village. On the way I saw Ivy-leaved Bellflowers on one of the verges - a lovely shade of pale blue. Once again I met an electric fence across the path - why do people feel that they have the right to just stick these up wherever they like? It usually seems to be horsey types.
I continued on to Edenham, where there's a pub that does lunches. I had my picnic with me, so I carried on, looking for a shady place to sit and eat. I ended up by the side of the road in a gateway where the grass was shorter - not very nice!
It seemed a long old haul from here back to the western edge of the woods. It was a relief to get under the trees. The paths are really well maintained and there seem to be lots to explore, so I'll come back another day. There are a number of sculptures placed throughout the wood, but I only spotted three - one broken, one rather nice carved bollard-thing and a living willow maze.
The woods belong to the Forestry Commission and are also looked after by the Friends of Bourne Woods. Apparently there are some ponds which I will visit another day, with kingfishers and herons to be spotted (possibly!). There were lots of families and people with dogs out for a stroll - usually I don't see a soul when I'm out walking. I did feel quite smug to think that I'd walked 20174 steps - well over my target of 9400.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home